Blast protective structures
Bi-Steel can be used to construct a wide spectrum of blast protection structures, ranging from entire buildings, or secure areas within a building, to individual blast walls.
Bi-Steel panels offer the very best in rapid erect, modular construction techniques enabling assembly on site to be carried out quickly, accurately and efficiently.
Benefits of Bi-Steel
- Protection – unrivalled security and blast protection. When panels are filled with ready mixed concrete a robust, high performance structure is created.
- Strength – exceptional strength for both operational and extreme loading.
- Speed – buildings can be erected in days not weeks/months. No special skills or equipment required.
- Modular off-site construction techniques – deliver accurate, high quality product.
- Aesthetics – Bi-Steel buildings can be clad using proprietary cladding systems to provide a structure that is not only functional but is aesthetically attractive and can easily blend in with existing surroundings.
Buildings constructed with blast resistant Bi-Steel can be erected quickly, accurately and with minimum disruption – and they offer the highest levels of protection against explosive attack. Bi-Steel panels are manufactured in a dedicated Tata Steel plant, then fabricated into modules, which are transported to site where they are quickly assembled and filled with ready-mixed concrete. This rapid method of construction enables secure, blast resistant buildings to be created quickly and cost efficiently.
Creating a blast resistant citadel area within a sensitive building to provide added protection for critical building services, IT or communications equipment, control centres, data storage, etc, can be achieved by constructing in Bi-Steel. This higher integrity area can be easily incorporated into the structure when it is being built, or it can be retro-fitted within an existing building if the need arises at a later date.
Part or complete structures utilising interconnecting internal and/or external walls and slabs can be designed in Bi-Steel and supplied for either permanent or temporary applications. A number of different connection systems can be used to join Bi-Steel panels, ranging from welding to mechanical connections. Our engineering team will advise on the most suitable approach depending on the structural type, loading and associated level of protection required.
Bi-Steel blast walls have been installed in hours compared with weeks for reinforced concrete alternatives. Simple construction has allowed Bi-Steel to be used easily in applications with very limited space and access restrictions. Blast walls can also be clad to provide a pleasing external façade for architectural or security purposes.